Skip to main content

RIP, My Old Boxer!

Recently Zhemgang Dzongkhag Tshogdue (DT) have decided an unkind resolution making it compulsory for both town and village people to wear Gho and Kira from 9AM to 5PM. I have really like their antique ideas for a good cause so that our age old tradition and custom is preserved well. As a Bhutanese I am a responsible citizen to uphold my country's law and identity. For me wearing national gears is not so difficult and a big deal. I feel so comfortable and proud to be in my colorful gho. I often prefer wearing of Tshechu color Gho over my Pangtsi Dhorma (Boxer)! But, I have seen people of all works of life pouring out their grievances openly and savagely in some social media.  

According to DT chairman, the decision was taken according to Local Government Act and the book on etiquette's to protect and preserve national identity, culture and tradition. I feel all these are the old thoughts. But, I don’t mean to be unfaithful and doom my country along with few unpatriotic people.

As of now the proposed penalty to those who fail to comply with DT’s decision was quite handsome but unkind. Who told that wearing of National Dress alone can preserve the National Sovereignty?

Although, it is important to preserve and promote culture and tradition and to protect country’s independence and security in the face of changing world. But, not this way. I feel this is too harsh for the people. Let them decide what to wear and when to wear what. If wearing national dress alone can stand to protect us from foreign invasion and danger. I submit myself to be wearing my national dress even while sleeping and to my deathbed.   

I suppose culture shouldn’t be stagnant. It must go on with the change of time. At any time, nobody want to hang in their birthday suit. Our concern authority should have the knowledge that the country’s sovereignty can’t hold by simply wearing Gho and Kira, speaking national language, playing archery (bamboo bow) and eating Emadatshi. There are times and places where individual citizen should be oblique and obedient to law of kingdom.

We live in 21st century and the world is so open now. The air of change is already overflowing even in our locality and country is experiencing the most dramatic change in culture and the other system that are actually brought by our own people living abroad and some foreigners who visit to see Bhutan’s unique culture. We can’t stop such habit and interdependence to eachother!

I feel completely depending on cultural won't uphold the nation's independency. The time to display of our museum pieces has gone far now and it holds no good meanings either. In present times, the political and economic powers are the two main things that keeps us strong and alive.

Therefore, wearing of Gho and Kira should be made lovable and comfortable and should not be imposed as a law. Anything that comes as an order can never sustain and it won't be durable either. So, far I didn't see any Bhutanese who have said he/she do not love Bhutan. When we love our country so much, it means we love wearing our national dress but appropriately in right place and time.

The policy makers actually have a bigger role to play when such discussion happens. They should be always mindful of the past experiences and the facts. I vividly remember the controversy of half-kira, compelling speaking of Dzongkha as the medium of communication in all the offices and public and the Tracksuits in schools had to overturn because of public infuriation and citizens right.

However, besides everything we must stand to give higher priorities on, how to solve the issue of trash, rural-urban migration, youth unemployment rate and increasing numbers of students involved in alcohol and drugs related crime at the earliest. Likewise, we also have some more urgent needs to reach out at the earliest like modern development –boosting of rural-economic opportunities, supporting more efficient trade and market deal, quality education and reaching out for drinkable water has to be the top agendas for our DT to discuss and not such catastrophic discussion. 

I love my National Dress, DO YOU? 

Here are some comments and feedback on the social media that I captured reacting to the resolution:

Rinchen (Farmer from Gongphu, Zhemgang)
It would be difficult for farmers to work in the farms in gho and kira. “I have not heard of the new rule but I will raise the issue when local leaders come with the news.”

Ngawang Choden (Mother of three, zhemgang)
It would be uncomfortable to work in kira in hot weather. She said that local leaders should have discussed the matter with the people before deciding. “Imposing fine would be a harsh punishment for farmers.”

Norbu Toiisang Lama
He said, national dress is to be worn with pride, not with fear to be penalized. I don’t support the resolution.

Tshering JK Jurmey


I am not sure about the abrupt decision, how people at village will bear the cost of demeanor because of dress code? We know everything about village as most of are the son and daughter of farmer. The decision should should not be made base on our present comfort chair, it’s just my perception…

Comments

  1. I am a Bhutanese. I am proud of our national dress.
    But making it compulsary from 9am to 5pm for all? Thats a tad too much.

    I think some hard-core nationalists always try to come up with these kinda plans without thinking of the repercussions to all parties concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My wild hunch is that DT is exhausting out of agendas.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Iron Lady of India dies at 68.

It was neither a good news to millions of Tamilian nor to the parliament house. But, she will continue to remain one of the most influential person in politics and in the film industries. Perhaps, she became more than the goddess of Tamil Nadu politics. She has been a greatest asset to her country in her best pursuit. The women who has ruled India more like 'Gandhian Philosophy.'   Jayalalithaa jee She has done every preeminent possible ways to bring massive changes in the life of millions of people and uplifted the Indian society than any other women. She had worked so hard, she had risk every bits of her life just for the benefit of all the Indians because of which she had gained a huge popularity amongst the other leaders. She was popularly known as an ‘ Iron Lady ’ for being tough and firm in her action and ‘ Amma ’ for acting more than a mother for millions of homeless and to the needy ones.’   The best part I have seen throughout her political regime and fil

Golden Words Of King Jigme Singye Wangchuck

King Jigme Singye Wangchuck "...in particular, speaking for myself; my sorrow in having lost my own father is indeed very great. What is more the country has lost a king whose kind has till now never been known..."                                                                ( Royal proclamation to the people of Bhutan, July 26, 1972)                                      "...as far as you, my people, are concerned, you should not adopt the attitude that whatever is required to be done for your welfare will be done entirely by the government. On the contrary, a little effort on your part will be much more effective than a great deal of effort on the part of the government..."                                     ( Address to the people of the Bhutan on the coronation day . June 2 nd , 1974) "...children are our treasures. They hold the promise of the future and therefore, it is only right that they should be given every opportunity to develop

Goodbye Beloved Teachers

When life has thousands reasons to walk and live, I've thousands different ways to spend my coming holidays. So, does you all my ‘teacher-colleagues’ I've been working so hard for nearly, 280 days round the clock in, educating different lives with different wants, likes and ages. Honestly, I've been so busy and fully occupied for countless hours of teachings, correcting exam papers, assessing note books etc… – and that is called the life of a ‘every tangible teachers’. As a teacher/educator, almost every time - life goes beyond teaching and correcting exam papers. As, we need to engage our students into various fields of learning – going for extra classes, attending club activities, prayers, co-curricular activities, literary activities, cultural programs and so on…and this is the life of each teacher behind the screen. Yet, we get lots of blame starting from the people of highest rank to the lowest. In Bhutan, now a day in the name of suicide case, educa