Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Solar Panel versus Electricity Confusion


Recently I came across news by Kuensel. –"83 households in Tsirang has no grid electricity." And it caught my attention for the outlandish failure and wrong information recorded for rural electrification.  

Interestingly, it was sad to see poorly schooled officials who do not know the difference between solar and hydro power energy. I feel such poorly maintained record of data would hamper any future development of the villages. More so, it may also lead to series of implication for future plannings of the gewog as well. 

At this time and age, home without any electricity connection, villages without road connectivity, shops nearby and strong telecommunication tower may bring any kinds of disaster. We don't want to travel back in times neither we don't want to be like camel on the deserted island. 

It is sad to know that our officials are failing to perform their duty. Why these many villages are still without any electricity connection? What are our local leaders, planners and BPC doing? 

For a country like ours where hydro power are ample, our own villages should not be left out with reliable electricity connection. As a local leader and the planner, they have to raise concern and voices on such necessity of daily lives, and not only on what share of salary and benefits will they get in autumn. 

How some well-educated fools can say the dzongkhag has at least 83 households without grid electricity and still claims that the all the villages are electrified? We give so much emphasis on the use of electricity; it is locally available, cheap and clean forms of energy. I have seen our leaders encouraging the use of electricity over fire wood and other forms of energy. But where is their stand when some villages are still without any electricity connection. 

Unlike solar energy, electricity has multi-function. One can do so many work at a time with electrical energy. However, on the other hand, solar panel can't perform such heavy duties at a go. With the kind of solar panel provided to villages, it can withstand one or two 4-6 watt light bulb for 2-3 hours with some occasional break. With such poor facilities in place, how can we curb the problem of rural-urban migration? 

"In a recent report, Bhutan Power Corporation reported that with the electrification of Soe and Lingzhi in Thimphu and Jigmecholing in Sarpang, 99.97% of the households in the country have been provided with electricity. The remaining 0.03% constitutes 300 households in Lunana."

Where is the 83 households of Tsirang without any electricity connection in the record? A place famous for its landscape, land of vegetables, oranges and dallay chillies. 

“BPC's Divisional Manager in Tsirang, Dil Kumar Rasaily said that those households connected with solar energy are also considered electrified. That was how Tsirang's 83 non-electrified households got reflected as electrified. It is just that they do not have grid connection but their homes are lit with solar." How poor are our leaders? Who do not know the difference between solar and hydro power energy?

We don't want any officials and leaders of such capacity to rule us. In future such officials should be banned from entering into any job market. 

How many more survey are still required to provide electricity to these 83 households of Tsirang? If they are still waiting for another TA/DA claims, they can leave their offices. We don't want such voracious officials and poorly educated minds to represent us. We don't want such poorly educated leaders to speak on behalf of us, the villagers. 


The below is the link for those of you who do not have caught up with the news:

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Dasho Dzongda of Zhemgang in Zhemgang CS

It was an honor and privileged for Zhemgang CS family to receive new dasho dzongda in school recently. Having worked for so many years i...