Skip to main content

Our Everyday Problem


I can see problems everywhere, and every day, and with everybody. Zhemgang has an unsettled drinking water shortage. Thimphu is crowded with our own people. Phuntsholing, hub to highly polluted air. And Gelephu the Land of Elephants. However, the common problems of ours are – toilets, our waste, poor time management habits, and water shortage, etc…,

Everywhere, every day, and with everyone.

How can we solve this puzzle of ours? Do we need to hire some foreign brains to solve this simple matrix? How long shall we keep our volunteer service alive or go on?

Where are we actually failing –education system or policy level or poor mindset of our people?

I feel GNH country should not behave in such a rude manner. Sometimes, I pity myself as a deep Buddhist practitioner and a follower. Our time is now. We all must act now. We can. Our population is still manageable. If not now, we can never in near future?

First is our Public Toilet/Mass Toilet. "Everyone's property becomes nobody's property." Lately, I have been engaged in a pool of quite unusual Toilet Business. I jokingly told some of the students that our toilet pots have turned into a great antique now. Further, it was very sad to see most of the toilet doors in very bad conditions, completely destroyed. With such conditions, our toilet looks like Ghost. Looks like it was abandoned for a thousand years. Looks like some pigs have used it.

What a shame?

Perhaps, the water shortage was their blatant response. However, I suggested they make a habit of carrying water while making it to the toilet –be it a short or long toilet. Always Use Water! Such simple good habits can solve our toilet problem everywhere. I am happy since everybody promised to use water hereafter, everyone promised to cooperate –for whatever maybe the situation. Together we can. I concluded with –thank you very much!

Second is Our Waste. Despite special reminders and requests, we can still see all kinds of waste everywhere. Recently, I got a chance to share one small successful story of our own Greener Way. The renowned brand name in Thimphu City. However, we don’t feel as good as Karma Yonten feels for the waste. Someone's waste is someone's fortune, someone's money, someone's living, and someone's good luck. I told them –what it do to our environment? How to manage our own waste? How to make a good habit for it?

I am sure some felt for it and few unmoved for it.

Third is Poor Time Management Habits. Particularly, I found Bhutanese are very poor in managing time –be it office time or casual gatherings. Of late, I shared about good time management habits and its benefits. Simply, I want them to be punctual for work, or wherever.

I told them – "time stops for no one. Time waits for no one. And your excuses will never slow down time." It keeps going, and going, and going…!

I have been into the teaching service for seven years now, and the biggest challenge was that almost 99% of us come late for school and other activities. And no one bothers, and no one cares about it. Particularly, it is not good for educational institutions. I don't know the reason, why? However, in my case it is a little different, with my chest wide open, I told them for these many years, I have never come late for school and to other works. Further, as a student and a college student, I have never been late for any activities. Not even a minute late. How? How did I manage to do this simple task? It's very simple. I don't follow time. I do everything on or before time. Before I go to bed, I mentally prepare what to do the next day based on priority –first thing first! Next morning, I wake-up and prepare myself for the day's work.

I have my study duty on Thursday Morning which commences from 6:20am (for 1 hour). I make on time there as well. So, how? I wake-up at 5:50am and prepare myself.

Further, everyday my duty starts from 8:10am. So, how do I manage? I set priority –first thing first! I prepare for the day accordingly. Thus, there is no question of late for my work. It's all about how you take things, and manage things. Being positive to oneself is very important. Being honest to oneself is very important for a successful and happy life. For me, there is no question of this and that excuses someone coming late for their work. I must tell you, coming 10-15 minutes early for your work would ease you and your work. Your day will become beautiful and you will enjoy your work life immensely. There is no harm in coming few minutes early to your work. Remember, your work is lifeline!

Therefore, to make it better and reliable, I have narrated what had happened recently with "Japan's Olympics Minister. He was forced to apologize for being THREE minutes late to the meeting." Can you imagine, it's just 3 minutes late. Here we don't mind coming late for 1 hour, 2 hours and 3 hours...

In Japan, being unpunctual is a crime and it's a sign of disrespect to other people.

We need the same here. We need a law that protects people who work on time. This simple rule of life can make everyone happy. It can solve toilet problems, waste problems, time problems and even water problems. All we need is good life discipline.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Iron Lady of India dies at 68.

It was neither a good news to millions of Tamilian nor to the parliament house. But, she will continue to remain one of the most influential person in politics and in the film industries. Perhaps, she became more than the goddess of Tamil Nadu politics. She has been a greatest asset to her country in her best pursuit. The women who has ruled India more like 'Gandhian Philosophy.'   Jayalalithaa jee She has done every preeminent possible ways to bring massive changes in the life of millions of people and uplifted the Indian society than any other women. She had worked so hard, she had risk every bits of her life just for the benefit of all the Indians because of which she had gained a huge popularity amongst the other leaders. She was popularly known as an ‘ Iron Lady ’ for being tough and firm in her action and ‘ Amma ’ for acting more than a mother for millions of homeless and to the needy ones.’   The best part I have seen throughout her political regime and fil

Golden Words Of King Jigme Singye Wangchuck

King Jigme Singye Wangchuck "...in particular, speaking for myself; my sorrow in having lost my own father is indeed very great. What is more the country has lost a king whose kind has till now never been known..."                                                                ( Royal proclamation to the people of Bhutan, July 26, 1972)                                      "...as far as you, my people, are concerned, you should not adopt the attitude that whatever is required to be done for your welfare will be done entirely by the government. On the contrary, a little effort on your part will be much more effective than a great deal of effort on the part of the government..."                                     ( Address to the people of the Bhutan on the coronation day . June 2 nd , 1974) "...children are our treasures. They hold the promise of the future and therefore, it is only right that they should be given every opportunity to develop

Goodbye Beloved Teachers

When life has thousands reasons to walk and live, I've thousands different ways to spend my coming holidays. So, does you all my ‘teacher-colleagues’ I've been working so hard for nearly, 280 days round the clock in, educating different lives with different wants, likes and ages. Honestly, I've been so busy and fully occupied for countless hours of teachings, correcting exam papers, assessing note books etc… – and that is called the life of a ‘every tangible teachers’. As a teacher/educator, almost every time - life goes beyond teaching and correcting exam papers. As, we need to engage our students into various fields of learning – going for extra classes, attending club activities, prayers, co-curricular activities, literary activities, cultural programs and so on…and this is the life of each teacher behind the screen. Yet, we get lots of blame starting from the people of highest rank to the lowest. In Bhutan, now a day in the name of suicide case, educa