Skip to main content

Book Review: Within the Realm of Happiness


by

Kinley Dorji


After a Radio Valley Talk Show hosted by Kunga Dorji, better known as "supe", I came to know Dasho Kinley Dorji more and better than I saw him as a secretary of the Ministry of Information and Communication. Listening to their talk show, I was thrilled to have his book and waited for the book. 

A few weeks ago, I came across a post made by Chablop PaSsu on "BOOKNESE" about the book release, ready for an online order. It took me no time to place an order. With the hope deep inside, I waited for an immediate response from the page admin. After a few hours, it was Lyonpo Loknath Sharma, Minister for Economic Affairs who gracefully and coincidentally responded as "Sancha, where are you –I can send you a copy as I got two la". It took me some time to think and respond to Lyonpo. Honestly it took me many more to respond. But, deep inside I needed the book by Dasho Kinley. I was longing read his book. I gave my address to Lyonpo in a personal chat message. It was this special moment I realized how deep and low our Lyonpo is for the common subject. Had a few quick conversations and a few lines of introduction. It made sense on both ends. Lyonpo assured, the book will be sent in the fastest possible express. It also says, cost is notional. No worries sir, as long as your students are happy with you –I can spare a tiny and mighty book for you. Goodnight!

Indeed, it was a beautiful way to end the conversation. Perhaps, I was happy and excited. 

Next day, I received a call from his officer stating the book was sent through taxi service. It will be delivered at your doorstep in next 5-hour. Lost in puzzle, and deeply moved by the kindness, hardly a few more words came to thank the person talking to the other end. Thank you madam. I will let you know once I receive the book. 

It was before dusk, I got a call from Taxi driver saying; please collect your parcel from the booking. I did as ordered. 

The piece of literature I dream for so long from the person I admire so much is finally in my hand. I was happy.

 

Short Reflection

The book is a random collection of 13 short stories, memoirs, and essays from childhood memories and travel tales of the author himself. It's more like a self-reflection and journey made in both good and bad times. 

Going through the short preface, it made me think and rethink. It is very short but powerful. More or less, the introduction covers all the aspects of reflection. 

The first story "Angay" was woven so well that it put me back in time with my 72-year old grandma, who is no more with us. The story was so nicely expressed, more like the "Tom and Jerry" series, the non-violent fight between Angay and the mouse. The battle was a never-ending game. It made me laugh a lot. The last line says it clearly, "the mouse scurried away and disappeared into the bushes".

It took me no time to cover all the stories and reflections. As I read through the book, second in order was "Mi-MI's Surprise, two men, two worlds, pretty woman and so on. The last in order was the answer lies back home. 

"Karma's story", the story of a friendship, lesson of heroes, subject of discussion, matter of time, mystery of Capital, education, exposure, friendship more than a Whisky. The humor created in between was flawless. Story should be something like "Karma's story". 

"A legend that lives" the reflection of deep Bhutanese is an eye opening one. I could realize how important and significant is our "Paro Taktshang", popularly known as Tiger's Nest. And what lesson and values should we take is up to one's will and interpretation. I like how seriously our Bhutanese felt the loss of Taktshang by fire. It was also proven how united and selfless were our people in restoring into former glory back in those times.

My favourite was in between "pretty woman" and "the answer lies back home". A Bhutanese in Japan has no less knowledge and experience. It was worth sacrificing my family time. There were plentiful lessons and wisdom, insight and thought, profundity and versatility, wit and suspense, metaphor and satire in each story. 

The story line was a massive luxury of words and adjectives. Crafted the ideas so well to suit the time and place, mood and feeling, old and young.

Overall, it was special. Thrilling.

As Dasho Kinley puts his end, "it was time to go home", I landed up thinking and lost, into serious and deep contemplation, mesmerised by the fact of a beautiful literature piece. And finally knew how funny and entertaining is our own Dasho Kinley.

 

NOTE:

I sincerely thank BOOKNESE, Lyonpo for sharing the book, officer for taking time to pack and send the book, taxi driver for delivery, Dasho Kinley for the book, my wife for sparing the fare and myself for reading the book very sincerely till the end.

 

Comments

  1. What a humbling story behind how you got a copy of the book from Lyonpo Lok Nath.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Iron Lady of India dies at 68.

It was neither a good news to millions of Tamilian nor to the parliament house. But, she will continue to remain one of the most influential person in politics and in the film industries. Perhaps, she became more than the goddess of Tamil Nadu politics. She has been a greatest asset to her country in her best pursuit. The women who has ruled India more like 'Gandhian Philosophy.'   Jayalalithaa jee She has done every preeminent possible ways to bring massive changes in the life of millions of people and uplifted the Indian society than any other women. She had worked so hard, she had risk every bits of her life just for the benefit of all the Indians because of which she had gained a huge popularity amongst the other leaders. She was popularly known as an ‘ Iron Lady ’ for being tough and firm in her action and ‘ Amma ’ for acting more than a mother for millions of homeless and to the needy ones.’   The best part I have seen throughout her political regime and fil

Golden Words Of King Jigme Singye Wangchuck

King Jigme Singye Wangchuck "...in particular, speaking for myself; my sorrow in having lost my own father is indeed very great. What is more the country has lost a king whose kind has till now never been known..."                                                                ( Royal proclamation to the people of Bhutan, July 26, 1972)                                      "...as far as you, my people, are concerned, you should not adopt the attitude that whatever is required to be done for your welfare will be done entirely by the government. On the contrary, a little effort on your part will be much more effective than a great deal of effort on the part of the government..."                                     ( Address to the people of the Bhutan on the coronation day . June 2 nd , 1974) "...children are our treasures. They hold the promise of the future and therefore, it is only right that they should be given every opportunity to develop

Goodbye Beloved Teachers

When life has thousands reasons to walk and live, I've thousands different ways to spend my coming holidays. So, does you all my ‘teacher-colleagues’ I've been working so hard for nearly, 280 days round the clock in, educating different lives with different wants, likes and ages. Honestly, I've been so busy and fully occupied for countless hours of teachings, correcting exam papers, assessing note books etc… – and that is called the life of a ‘every tangible teachers’. As a teacher/educator, almost every time - life goes beyond teaching and correcting exam papers. As, we need to engage our students into various fields of learning – going for extra classes, attending club activities, prayers, co-curricular activities, literary activities, cultural programs and so on…and this is the life of each teacher behind the screen. Yet, we get lots of blame starting from the people of highest rank to the lowest. In Bhutan, now a day in the name of suicide case, educa