Skip to main content

Power of Exercise

As the year 2022 draws to end, there are few breaking achievements to share and achieve here. Although I am not the type of person who really works with new year resolutions, or so, I hope next year will be more fulfilling and worth sharing with friends and families. Despite many mighty challenges and learnings, I called it a successful year. 


The whole year has been a roller coaster. In the wake of COVID-19 hangovers, there were numerous challenges but at the same time a lot of learning. We were relieved  from some national restrictions. Lockdown. Face-mask. Hand washing. No movement. Social distancing and no gathering. 

 

My father who is yet to be 63 years old has multiple diseases like high BP, Arthritis and Gastritis. Once a tuberculosis patient and more recently diagnosed with Peripheral Neuropathy.

 

Although, it wasn’t easy. However, I came to understand many things about different diseases and their management. I am almost certain of my future if I am less bothered by my health and diet. Now I understand the signs and symptoms of a person suffering from Arthritis and Peripheral Neuropathy because I have someone suffering from this disorder at home. 

 

As a farmer, his life was all about farm work and alcohol. Now he has multiple diseases and with a Gastric Oxyntic Mucosa with severe erosion and active Gastritis, I advise him to reduce, or if possible to completely stop alcohol intake for his own health benefit. What he can consume and digest before, now the same food items became poison. He is aging now. 

 

We have already failed multiple times in this mission because the signs and symptoms were evident in the earlier years too. However, this time his health has deteriorated far more than expected, maybe because of his age. I thought it’s a good opportunity for him and the whole family to give him a clean lifestyle free of an alcohol diet. I tried sharing many ideas to make him realize the severity and damages caused by alcohol consumption. Despite all the advice and trial, he seemed less bothered by our admission. For him -no best cloth, no best facilities, no best pilgrimage, no best friends, no luxury and no advice seems to work. 

 

Alcohol has taken all his life!

 

Dependent more with alcohol is like a double edged-sword. First it hooks you. Second, it won’t let you move.  Third, it takes your beautiful life. The worst part is, once you are addicted, with and without, both are omnipotent.

 

As he was having difficult times with stomach ache due to active Gastric and weakened nerves due to Arthritis, it was painstakingly difficult for him to be on his feet. Pain was severe and unbearably difficult with all medication and spiritual intervention. Despite all our effort and advice, he can never be like a UFC fighter and world sprinter, but we hope to give him at least a decent and alcohol free life before he becomes a burden to his own life and to other family members.

 

For the last few weeks, he was with a few cups of local bangchang. For two weeks, he was fed three times a day and the quantity was set minimal. I purposefully did this hoping some days he might quit alcohol. However, the big problem was the withdrawal symptom. Out of many, he experienced two deadly signs –anger and neuropathy disorder. The latter was more difficult to manage. He experienced a weakened leg knee and senseless feet. There is nothing to worry much, but only if he is active with the exercise. 

 

He has been completely bed-ridden for four weeks now with some numbness and pain around his knees. As I related the whole story, the doctor assured he may be alright after a month, or so. But regular exercise and a good diet are a must. I bullied a doctor on duty for Physiotherapy Service Appointment too.

 

As I walked away from the hospital chamber accompanying my father, I sincerely made a wish to give him a last chance to have at least a normal life with fine feet to stand and attend nature's call. As I approached the physio room, I made another wish to give my father a last chance, and may he recover to his fitness soon. I am a firm believer of exercise and a good diet, I seek the ultimate divine of physiotherapy to bless my father to recover soon. 

 

Like at the doctors' chamber, I shared the whole story of who and what and why, to a person in-charge in the room. I have immense trust and hope in the centre. 

 

First day was more of sharing, knowing and a few trips and exercises. We were advised to go for a simple 7-workout, three times a day with 10-short cycles. As his attendant, I was given full advice and authority, benefits and the seriousness to forge on this new journey. More, or less, I was aware of all the exercises. I agreed to take it very seriously. Damn, seriously! Sir, I shall train him like your suggestion at home mindfully, more meticulously as after all, it would benefit him. I shall be back a week later. 

 

With immense gratitude and trust, I left the hospital campus but prayed in silence to give my father a last chance to stand on his feet. I quickly left for my duty. He was home for the remaining hours to think and reflect. Back in the evening, I was prepared to make a move. Although, it wasn't easy for a typical farmer and more so for a reluctant person like my father. But I wasn't at all in the mood to give up. As much as it was difficult, I was in a mood to give him a new life and at least an independent life to attend some nature's call, if not full strength to work in a field.

 

Today as we approach the second week of exercise, the progress was huge and impactful. Almost 10-day down with exercise, he is slowly regaining his health. This is the ultimate power of daily physical exercise. Although, it wasn't easy to manage, yet it takes one's determination and positivity and courage to do things with utmost self-discipline.

 

I also would like to say that I listen and trust health professionals. In the world of technology, you can even leverage the opportunity to do more than an average for which everything is available online at a cheaper cost. 

 

It just takes courage and positivity. Just keep practicing and trusting yourselves. There is magic in daily exercise. From all odds, you can be on your feet again. 

 

The game is not over yet. The progress wasn't so fast and promising, but we are positive and hopeful that in a few months, he may stand on his feet. We are still continuing 2-time of the suggested cycles with few added exercises. 

 

I cannot guarantee his drinking habit, but there are some agreements and difficult times we have faced together to fight and come this far on this disorder. After all, it wasn't easy to give adequate love, care and manage an aging life. 

 

Of many beautiful and sad moments for the year, this eventful life of my father is something I shall remember with great sadness and pain, but at the same time a service that I have rendered him as a son to a father. Equally, I also would remember the power of exercise and self-discipline in life. This event would definitely be remembered as a year end memoir.

 

Advisory note:

When such a sad event occurs at your home with anybody, please do not panic and give up easily. Seek professional advice and do whatever possible therapies that are available. Particularly, health in our case is so cheap and available. It just takes your time. I have also tried all spiritual intervention to calm my mind. After all, he is my father!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Iron Lady of India dies at 68.

It was neither a good news to millions of Tamilian nor to the parliament house. But, she will continue to remain one of the most influential person in politics and in the film industries. Perhaps, she became more than the goddess of Tamil Nadu politics. She has been a greatest asset to her country in her best pursuit. The women who has ruled India more like 'Gandhian Philosophy.'   Jayalalithaa jee She has done every preeminent possible ways to bring massive changes in the life of millions of people and uplifted the Indian society than any other women. She had worked so hard, she had risk every bits of her life just for the benefit of all the Indians because of which she had gained a huge popularity amongst the other leaders. She was popularly known as an ‘ Iron Lady ’ for being tough and firm in her action and ‘ Amma ’ for acting more than a mother for millions of homeless and to the needy ones.’   The best part I have seen throughout her political regime and fil

Golden Words Of King Jigme Singye Wangchuck

King Jigme Singye Wangchuck "...in particular, speaking for myself; my sorrow in having lost my own father is indeed very great. What is more the country has lost a king whose kind has till now never been known..."                                                                ( Royal proclamation to the people of Bhutan, July 26, 1972)                                      "...as far as you, my people, are concerned, you should not adopt the attitude that whatever is required to be done for your welfare will be done entirely by the government. On the contrary, a little effort on your part will be much more effective than a great deal of effort on the part of the government..."                                     ( Address to the people of the Bhutan on the coronation day . June 2 nd , 1974) "...children are our treasures. They hold the promise of the future and therefore, it is only right that they should be given every opportunity to develop

Goodbye Beloved Teachers

When life has thousands reasons to walk and live, I've thousands different ways to spend my coming holidays. So, does you all my ‘teacher-colleagues’ I've been working so hard for nearly, 280 days round the clock in, educating different lives with different wants, likes and ages. Honestly, I've been so busy and fully occupied for countless hours of teachings, correcting exam papers, assessing note books etc… – and that is called the life of a ‘every tangible teachers’. As a teacher/educator, almost every time - life goes beyond teaching and correcting exam papers. As, we need to engage our students into various fields of learning – going for extra classes, attending club activities, prayers, co-curricular activities, literary activities, cultural programs and so on…and this is the life of each teacher behind the screen. Yet, we get lots of blame starting from the people of highest rank to the lowest. In Bhutan, now a day in the name of suicide case, educa