Skip to main content

Ezra Effect : The UC Student—Mentor Session

A journey away from home is both exhilarating and overwhelming. Perhaps, the journey of exploration, growth and adaptation. It tests someone's interpersonal skills and courage to overcome all the diverse challenges that lie ahead.

 

Therefore, my expedition in the Land of Kangaroo is no different. It could be undoubtedly for the place I come from, and the world view I hold of the lake is too big for the ocean to me. 

 

The brief experience of being in Canberra for a little over a month has opened my eyes, but not so much to get along with my university life. The campus to me is like entering into the zombie land. I am still not so sure how many gates the university has in total. Lost several times for not being able to trace back the route, losing my own parked car.  It was a moment of learning and embarrassment; a moment I shall cherish forever. 

 

Amid my lost state of mind, I saw a program called "UC Thrive - Student Mentor Program" through the university portal. I found it interesting and helpful. Because I have field experience in mentoring my students getting along with academics and social affairs. Therefore, knowing the weight of this program, I've registered to clarify all my doubts. 

 

On the evening of 2nd August, I received a mail chat from someone by the name: Ezra Corcuera. He had left a brief introduction in the chat. 

 

"My name is Ezra, and I am your Student Mentor. I am currently in my 2nd year of Master of Information Technology and Systems (MITS) Degree".

 

"I look forward to being your support and key point of contact over the next few weeks. I'm available to meet up with you once a week until week 7. This week let's meet over a Free Coffee at Coffee Grounds on Friday 4th August at 2:30 in the afternoon". 

 

If it wasn't for this affair, it wouldn't have turned out this way. Although the two of us are from different poles, it seems like we were united for the academic cause. 

 

However, due to some personal inconveniences we couldn't meet on the agreed date and time. We sifted to meet on Tuesday of the following week.  

 

He is tall, a nice and cool-looking guy. I can feel his academic voraciousness. In my calculation, he will become ingenious in AI & Machine Learning. 

 

After a quick handshake and self-introduction, we headed to the Coffee Ground with a token coupon for free coffee to enjoy for the session. Perhaps, it's a good way to unite people, and so is our means. 

 

“ ”

I'm a new boy in the big UC Campus!

 

Our discussion from personal to academic to computer labs to lecture rooms, the discussion went on for a long. I felt the two of us shared sweet dreams; the humanity to serve our country after our graduation. The experience of coming together proved to be invaluable as it provided a lot of insights into a wide range of topics to foster a smoother transition of my university life and -beyond. 


Academically, my mentor's guidance was like a compass, directing me toward the right courses and units that aligned with my background and experience. With my little programming knowledge, the choice was left up to me to decide. Having heard little experience from my mentor, I decided to opt for Specializing in MITS Cybersecurity. 


Navigating through the labyrinth of facilities and protocols was made simple and digestible. From the library's treasure trove to the nuances of online learning from Canvas and more, I received a comprehensive overview. I was told that UC Campus has one of the best resources both in academic and non-academic discipline which profoundly encouraged me to make the best use of the resources during my two years stay. I was told that some of the best brains of the community are on the campus to help us fulfill our dreams and more. 


Assignments and projects are integral to any academic pursuit, and my mentor's insights proved invaluable. His guidance will surely elevate the quality of my work and reduce anxiety associated with deadlines in the days to come. 


Nevertheless, discussions about assessment and examination formats gave me some more clear understanding of what to expect. From practical assessments to online quizzes and tests, he helped demystify the evaluation process, equipping me to approach any form of assessment with great confidence.


Beyond the academic realm, the mentoring session has fostered my personal growth and confidence and the way I see the University of Canberra. I hope all these long sittings of the two of us will surely help me complete all the units successfully. Hearing about his journey, challenges, and triumphs has instilled in me a great sense of resilience and determination within me to work hard and prove to myself that nothing is impossible. 


Honestly, Ezra Session has given me wings to fly high above the Ngunnawal sky. The session on my new campus extended far beyond mere information sharing. It symbolizes the torch of knowledge being passed down to me, lighting my new academic journey. From the academic sphere to campus facilities, protocols, assignments, projects, and assessments, the session has greatly lifted my mood and is likely to unveil my experience, transforming all unfamiliar into the path of greatness. 


I remain profoundly grateful to my mentor and friend Ezra for the guidance and camaraderie he has given me despite his busy schedule, fortifying me as I navigate the exciting terrain of this new campus chapter, the University of Canberra, the seat of academic excellence.  


Here, I enclose with sincere thanks for inspiring me!


Sancha Bahadur RAI 

Bhutan

 


Ezra (Left) and Me (Right)

Img: Screenshot, UC Canvas


Note: 

If there is anyone struggling to make your day on campus, please feel free to talk and get the best service on one touch. Do not hesitate to get world class services designed for all of us.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Iron Lady of India dies at 68.

It was neither a good news to millions of Tamilian nor to the parliament house. But, she will continue to remain one of the most influential person in politics and in the film industries. Perhaps, she became more than the goddess of Tamil Nadu politics. She has been a greatest asset to her country in her best pursuit. The women who has ruled India more like 'Gandhian Philosophy.'   Jayalalithaa jee She has done every preeminent possible ways to bring massive changes in the life of millions of people and uplifted the Indian society than any other women. She had worked so hard, she had risk every bits of her life just for the benefit of all the Indians because of which she had gained a huge popularity amongst the other leaders. She was popularly known as an ‘ Iron Lady ’ for being tough and firm in her action and ‘ Amma ’ for acting more than a mother for millions of homeless and to the needy ones.’   The best part I have seen throughout her political regime and fil

Golden Words Of King Jigme Singye Wangchuck

King Jigme Singye Wangchuck "...in particular, speaking for myself; my sorrow in having lost my own father is indeed very great. What is more the country has lost a king whose kind has till now never been known..."                                                                ( Royal proclamation to the people of Bhutan, July 26, 1972)                                      "...as far as you, my people, are concerned, you should not adopt the attitude that whatever is required to be done for your welfare will be done entirely by the government. On the contrary, a little effort on your part will be much more effective than a great deal of effort on the part of the government..."                                     ( Address to the people of the Bhutan on the coronation day . June 2 nd , 1974) "...children are our treasures. They hold the promise of the future and therefore, it is only right that they should be given every opportunity to develop

Goodbye Beloved Teachers

When life has thousands reasons to walk and live, I've thousands different ways to spend my coming holidays. So, does you all my ‘teacher-colleagues’ I've been working so hard for nearly, 280 days round the clock in, educating different lives with different wants, likes and ages. Honestly, I've been so busy and fully occupied for countless hours of teachings, correcting exam papers, assessing note books etc… – and that is called the life of a ‘every tangible teachers’. As a teacher/educator, almost every time - life goes beyond teaching and correcting exam papers. As, we need to engage our students into various fields of learning – going for extra classes, attending club activities, prayers, co-curricular activities, literary activities, cultural programs and so on…and this is the life of each teacher behind the screen. Yet, we get lots of blame starting from the people of highest rank to the lowest. In Bhutan, now a day in the name of suicide case, educa