Skip to main content

My Toilet Dream, Everyone's Choice

As I have already been involved in managing public toilets on a few big occasions, this time when I heard about the BazaGuru Drungdrup for three days (1st to 3rd March) I was rather obliged rather than feeling excited. 

To create the toilet of my dreams, I went to check the conditions of the public toilets several times (Moelamchenmo ground, zhemgang). To my surprise the recently constructed public toilet surrounding was in a very hostile condition.  

I tried everything in my control to do some cleaning although the weather was in our favor. 

Before I headed back home, I approached the camp coordinator to support my cause with some toiletries –tissue paper, soap, buckets, jugs, and phenol. I elaborated to him in length that these items are mandatory to keep any toilet clean and tidy. But, he seemed least bothered. He hesitantly accepted to fund my aforementioned proposal. 

For whatever reasons, I did not give up because I know it is for the good cause. It is a public matter and I felt the need is urgent. Therefore, I remained firm and pushed myself even further. I even have to coax some officers in between thinking for some favors to carry out this public service more blatantly and successfully. But, very few have supported the move.

On the first day, we were very excited. Therefore, we reached there by 5:45 am. In fact, before anyone, we took with us our own buckets, jugs and some hard brooms because we knew these items won't be on their list. I left my team to do a final touch and I went straight to the store. I luckily got phenol and the soap. I thanked them immensely. I told them I would remain obliged for their kindness and the support for the cause.

On the very first day, after a few hours we came across acute water shortage, toilet shortage especially for our females (4 units for large gathering is too less), missing tissue paper and maintaining the surrounding clean free of litters.

To keep the mission alive, I immediately rushed to a few officers I knew, for some help –the only word that I could utter was “Water Shortage for Toilet Sir”. Luckily we got immediate supply from the Fire Fighter Truck that lasted just for a few hours because the water storage tank was too small for the crowd. Anyway we managed till the last hour. We even fought silently with cooks over water –they felt the kitchen was more important (of course we too felt the same) and we had our own share of rights (everyone has the right to clean the toilet). I and my team tried our best to convey that toilets are equally important like kitchens. We did not back an inch from our prospect, and our gesture remained unabatingly firm and our mission remained undying like Ashley Eden. We felt the first few hours were less impactful but as time passed by we picked our momentum and slowly everyone felt our presence. Everyone trusted us and everyone seemed impressed with our dedicated service. 

On the second day we ran short of water supply more acutely, we had to struggle to maintain the sufficient amount of water for the toilet; on the other hand some officers’ were reluctant to aid us. But after several special requests, by afternoon Municipal Officer gave us the independent water supply and the two small tar drums which immensely helped us to perform our toiletry works. 

Third day was a bit easy and comfortable. We only needed to check the water supply, phenol, soap and clean the toilet pot from time to time. Although we all were thoroughly exhausted, we never gave up.

After working tirelessly and selflessly, we got some positive feedback – “toilet was very clean, and toilet smells so good”, these remarks gave us a sense of happiness, satisfaction and pride for the work we undertook to serve everyone.

We also had some bitter experience from three-day experience – people become bother less, carefree, and too dependent with free services, which made me reflect on the quote – “Once you carry your own water, you will learn the value of every drop”.

All these were made possible due to my dedicated and committed team [7 boys and 3 girls] for which I shall remain ever grateful and thankful. I am also so humbled by their team spirit, energy level, sacrifice and positiveness. 

Let's make toilets a first priority!
    Let's stop to defame mother nature!

   Let's forget the dirty toilet mindset!









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Iron Lady of India dies at 68.

It was neither a good news to millions of Tamilian nor to the parliament house. But, she will continue to remain one of the most influential person in politics and in the film industries. Perhaps, she became more than the goddess of Tamil Nadu politics. She has been a greatest asset to her country in her best pursuit. The women who has ruled India more like 'Gandhian Philosophy.'   Jayalalithaa jee She has done every preeminent possible ways to bring massive changes in the life of millions of people and uplifted the Indian society than any other women. She had worked so hard, she had risk every bits of her life just for the benefit of all the Indians because of which she had gained a huge popularity amongst the other leaders. She was popularly known as an ‘ Iron Lady ’ for being tough and firm in her action and ‘ Amma ’ for acting more than a mother for millions of homeless and to the needy ones.’   The best part I have seen throughout her political regime and fil

Golden Words Of King Jigme Singye Wangchuck

King Jigme Singye Wangchuck "...in particular, speaking for myself; my sorrow in having lost my own father is indeed very great. What is more the country has lost a king whose kind has till now never been known..."                                                                ( Royal proclamation to the people of Bhutan, July 26, 1972)                                      "...as far as you, my people, are concerned, you should not adopt the attitude that whatever is required to be done for your welfare will be done entirely by the government. On the contrary, a little effort on your part will be much more effective than a great deal of effort on the part of the government..."                                     ( Address to the people of the Bhutan on the coronation day . June 2 nd , 1974) "...children are our treasures. They hold the promise of the future and therefore, it is only right that they should be given every opportunity to develop

Goodbye Beloved Teachers

When life has thousands reasons to walk and live, I've thousands different ways to spend my coming holidays. So, does you all my ‘teacher-colleagues’ I've been working so hard for nearly, 280 days round the clock in, educating different lives with different wants, likes and ages. Honestly, I've been so busy and fully occupied for countless hours of teachings, correcting exam papers, assessing note books etc… – and that is called the life of a ‘every tangible teachers’. As a teacher/educator, almost every time - life goes beyond teaching and correcting exam papers. As, we need to engage our students into various fields of learning – going for extra classes, attending club activities, prayers, co-curricular activities, literary activities, cultural programs and so on…and this is the life of each teacher behind the screen. Yet, we get lots of blame starting from the people of highest rank to the lowest. In Bhutan, now a day in the name of suicide case, educa