Skip to main content

The Great Fourth: Last I Saw in-person was in 2011

As serious as in his looks, he is serious in action. As handsome as in his appearance, he is serious in his personality.

As a boy I grew up closely watching at the beautiful kupar of our king Jigme Singye Wangchuck my parents had hung up just above the first door of my parental house. Before I knew anything about the world, my parents introduced me to our king. Before I knew where he lives and what he does, I knew him as our king, King (Raja) of Bhutan. 

His leadership have often caught the worldly attention. I started loving our king from a very young age. There is nothing as beautiful as giving a long staring looks at the kupar of our king, the Great Fourth. Before I'd the idea of the world, I was already very close to our king.  

The photo frame my parents have always occupies a special place in our home and in our heart. It is still in the same place and has equally impacted other siblings like me. We worship him for his leadership and great vision for the country. Since then I always admire him. Indeed, he is my "role model". 

Back to my primary school, I used to know many things about the beloved Fourth King, in fact more than my little classmates. I could easily distinguish our king. We were introduced to our king in a very same manner of what my parents used to share with us, but more formally. By the time I was in junior school, I knew so many developments –where he lives? What does he do? His office. The changes he has brought under his dynamic leadership and how concerns he was especially for the younger generation. 

However, going through these powerful statements made by His Majesty at his earlier age is something extraordinary. 

I've jotted down a few random statements made by Jonathan Gregson in his book called "Kingdoms Beyond the Clouds", lively interviews with beloved Fourth Druk Gyalpo. 

"He has always been reluctant to take on large foreign loans. Standing on our own feet and self-reliance are central to his philosophy". 

"I don't believe monarchy is the best system of government. If there's a very good and competent king, then he can do much good; if not, then he can do a lot of harm. I try to impress upon them that you cannot depend just on one individual and that the future of bhutan can only be secure if it is in the hands of the Bhutanese people". 

"The essence of democracy is very, very good. Political parties decisions are based not on what's best for the country but what's best for winning votes". 

"He was pursuing a policy of economic self-reliance, privatizing enterprises set up with foreign aid so that they pay their own way and don’t become a drain on public finances". 

"Hydroelectricity –just as the Middle East has oil". But his majesty has warned in 1980's about the shortage of water to run the turbine and potential destruction to mother nature. He always has great concern for forest coverage. 

The future of the country lies in the hands of the young generation is never far from the truth. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Iron Lady of India dies at 68.

It was neither a good news to millions of Tamilian nor to the parliament house. But, she will continue to remain one of the most influential person in politics and in the film industries. Perhaps, she became more than the goddess of Tamil Nadu politics. She has been a greatest asset to her country in her best pursuit. The women who has ruled India more like 'Gandhian Philosophy.'   Jayalalithaa jee She has done every preeminent possible ways to bring massive changes in the life of millions of people and uplifted the Indian society than any other women. She had worked so hard, she had risk every bits of her life just for the benefit of all the Indians because of which she had gained a huge popularity amongst the other leaders. She was popularly known as an ‘ Iron Lady ’ for being tough and firm in her action and ‘ Amma ’ for acting more than a mother for millions of homeless and to the needy ones.’   The best part I have seen throughout her political regime and fil

Golden Words Of King Jigme Singye Wangchuck

King Jigme Singye Wangchuck "...in particular, speaking for myself; my sorrow in having lost my own father is indeed very great. What is more the country has lost a king whose kind has till now never been known..."                                                                ( Royal proclamation to the people of Bhutan, July 26, 1972)                                      "...as far as you, my people, are concerned, you should not adopt the attitude that whatever is required to be done for your welfare will be done entirely by the government. On the contrary, a little effort on your part will be much more effective than a great deal of effort on the part of the government..."                                     ( Address to the people of the Bhutan on the coronation day . June 2 nd , 1974) "...children are our treasures. They hold the promise of the future and therefore, it is only right that they should be given every opportunity to develop

Goodbye Beloved Teachers

When life has thousands reasons to walk and live, I've thousands different ways to spend my coming holidays. So, does you all my ‘teacher-colleagues’ I've been working so hard for nearly, 280 days round the clock in, educating different lives with different wants, likes and ages. Honestly, I've been so busy and fully occupied for countless hours of teachings, correcting exam papers, assessing note books etc… – and that is called the life of a ‘every tangible teachers’. As a teacher/educator, almost every time - life goes beyond teaching and correcting exam papers. As, we need to engage our students into various fields of learning – going for extra classes, attending club activities, prayers, co-curricular activities, literary activities, cultural programs and so on…and this is the life of each teacher behind the screen. Yet, we get lots of blame starting from the people of highest rank to the lowest. In Bhutan, now a day in the name of suicide case, educa