Skip to main content

Drawing My Family Tree

I decided to sacrifice a few Sundays to sit face-to-face with my father to discuss and list down on our family tree. It came into my mind a long time ago. But every time I have the mood, either my father is away, or I have some other work. This time I had the perfect coincidence –I had my father by my side and I was free. 

It was a tough battle to track down and put them into the correct order and sequence. Despite grueling hours of sitting with my father, unlearning and relearning past history, it was quite challenging to recall some names of some past generations who were lost long ago. Simply, few names couldn't be traced at all. We left it for some other occasions. I want to discuss the missing names and lineage with one of my cousins who has some ideas and background on one fine day. I also expect some other family members would definitely help us add and trace down a few missing names in future, as I would keep adding to the list.


 

Total Family Lineage of Dilumpa Rai [https://www.familyecho.com]

I felt sorry for my unschooled father to whom I had to quiz him like a criminal. I briefed him about my small work to sort out the relationship and draw some images of my great great grandfather. So that his grandchild and other future generations won’t have to suffer in identifying their past and bloodline, which is obviously going to become more complex and forgotten.

 

With all the information carefully arranged and drafted, I am sure this family timeline that I have drawn would someday be useful for all of us. Through this work of mine, I am sure that they would know the relation and order –who is who? And more importantly, when I grow old, I shall proudly recall and look back that I have done some outstanding work to plot a family tree. 

 

Embarking on a family tree assignment is exciting but equally tasking which requires good oral information and documents. Throughout the process, my father, whom I always consider a man rich in oral history, is the backbone in shaping this present form. 

I was sensitive and careful throughout the sitting with my father. If I wasn’t sure, I had redirected the questions and asked him again and again. I made sure the family tree is correct and precise. For missing names and sequence, I shall give more depth and color during some other time.


 


Concentrating on my great great grandfather line

Through this work, I could connect to many of my unknown cousins who live in different parts of the country –Gelephu and Daifarm. Dhansiri and Manaytar. Maley and Moaugang. I could find new ways to reconnect with them. It wasn't a waste of time and resources. My time and effort has created an indelible impression on my family members and perched an open link in the blood relation about the past, present and future generations.


As the discussion progressed, I knew which generation of my great-grandfather had exactly set foot in this land, the first ancestral lands and settlements. One point of our discussion was massively interesting but so critical, why my great-grandfather entered Bhutan and directly went to settle in the extreme corner of Tsirang, into the valley of Dodomchen. My great grandfather has settled into a virgin forest on the Burichu River bank. The place is rich in wild animals, fruits, vegetables and berries, fish and water. 

Why didn't they settle around Thimphu Valley, Paro Valley, Phuntsholing Valley and Gelephu valley? [Story in some other fine mood]

It could be probably, he was a crazy non-veg guy and into hunting. One thing was clear that most of my great-grandparents have never been to schooling. That was so sad. Although few had their non-formal education, they didn’t reach far in school. Most of them remain behind for farm work, herding animals and contributing labors. It was interesting to learn that most of the family members seem active and progressive since each line has at least five, or six children. It was evident even from the present generation that each branch has a minimum of five grandchildren. It was as high as eleven children. But, coming to the present generation, the clock has reversed and I am worried someday some line will become extinct. 

 

Link to my grandfather line

I was crystal clear on three critical branches in our family lineage. First the link between Hasta Dal Rai, Jantaray link [missing proper name] and Chakra Dhoj Rai. I came to know how we are different now. Second, I came to know the real father of my great-grandfather "Deekpal Rai" and his brother "Prethi Dhoj Rai" and his bloodline. Third, I came to know how "Bhopal Rai" and "Purna Bdr Rai" are related as first cousins. They all are the surviving first cousins whom we considered as very close.  


This family tree will serve as the soft tool to remind us and pave the way forward. I couldn’t include all the names of the grandchildren and others as it was overly populated and more. Someday, I would make a point to detail it out and share with some important family members.

 

This will remain and occupy a special place in my heart and hopefully to other family members and my kids. I want to frame it and put it on the wall. My kids must know their roots and bloodline.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Iron Lady of India dies at 68.

It was neither a good news to millions of Tamilian nor to the parliament house. But, she will continue to remain one of the most influential person in politics and in the film industries. Perhaps, she became more than the goddess of Tamil Nadu politics. She has been a greatest asset to her country in her best pursuit. The women who has ruled India more like 'Gandhian Philosophy.'   Jayalalithaa jee She has done every preeminent possible ways to bring massive changes in the life of millions of people and uplifted the Indian society than any other women. She had worked so hard, she had risk every bits of her life just for the benefit of all the Indians because of which she had gained a huge popularity amongst the other leaders. She was popularly known as an ‘ Iron Lady ’ for being tough and firm in her action and ‘ Amma ’ for acting more than a mother for millions of homeless and to the needy ones.’   The best part I have seen throughout her political regime and fil

Golden Words Of King Jigme Singye Wangchuck

King Jigme Singye Wangchuck "...in particular, speaking for myself; my sorrow in having lost my own father is indeed very great. What is more the country has lost a king whose kind has till now never been known..."                                                                ( Royal proclamation to the people of Bhutan, July 26, 1972)                                      "...as far as you, my people, are concerned, you should not adopt the attitude that whatever is required to be done for your welfare will be done entirely by the government. On the contrary, a little effort on your part will be much more effective than a great deal of effort on the part of the government..."                                     ( Address to the people of the Bhutan on the coronation day . June 2 nd , 1974) "...children are our treasures. They hold the promise of the future and therefore, it is only right that they should be given every opportunity to develop

Goodbye Beloved Teachers

When life has thousands reasons to walk and live, I've thousands different ways to spend my coming holidays. So, does you all my ‘teacher-colleagues’ I've been working so hard for nearly, 280 days round the clock in, educating different lives with different wants, likes and ages. Honestly, I've been so busy and fully occupied for countless hours of teachings, correcting exam papers, assessing note books etc… – and that is called the life of a ‘every tangible teachers’. As a teacher/educator, almost every time - life goes beyond teaching and correcting exam papers. As, we need to engage our students into various fields of learning – going for extra classes, attending club activities, prayers, co-curricular activities, literary activities, cultural programs and so on…and this is the life of each teacher behind the screen. Yet, we get lots of blame starting from the people of highest rank to the lowest. In Bhutan, now a day in the name of suicide case, educa