Skip to main content

Breaking The Menstrual Taboo

May 28 of every year is observed as World Menstrual Hygiene Day. The day is basically to break age-old taboo, stigmatization and discrimination against our women and girls at home, school and public places.

To mark this day at Damphu CS, I was assigned to make a short awareness program by the School Management. Although the order came quite late, at a cross-road on a day that was packed with many works, I am determined to arsenal the challenge. It checks my professional ethics and conviction to work. I have to be very careful and have to balance everything and make the day's program lively. However, in everyone's mind, the program has to be short but impactful. 

With heavy concern, I have jotted down a few points in my diary. I got help from a few senior friends which gave me some ideas and broadened the depth of the program. I called a few students whom I feel are confident and who can help me share my ideas and message across on the day. 

Unlike other usual programs, I planned it a bit differently –no drama, no speech, no poster, no guest speaker, no volunteer, no all kinds of Bhutanese formalities, etc. 

I have arranged three students to support me push through the program for the crowds of nearly 800 brillant faces. 

With them I have shared my plan for the next day. I barbed my idea and the messages. We did not write any structured messages. We did not keep any language barriers and other formalities. The program should be free-flowing, lively and fun. A simple theme banner was arranged with the help of a teacher colleague and a few students before we call it a day. 

When I got home –I took refuge by playing, jumping and running with two kids. 

Before I made a move for the day, I briefly scribbled a few key points to present as an event coordinator. 

The day started by handing over a sanitary pad to the school girl captain. I want to say there is nothing wrong with menstruation and the pad.

"Don't wait for

a girl to become 

a woman to 

empower them". 

This quote is relevant for the mood as we usually don’t think to empower our girl and woman in topics such as this. I have shared a couple of statements regarding the menstrual cycle –facts and figures. I asked the favour of one boy student to highlight the world menstrual hygiene day theme. As he presented his lines, he went on to tell myths and ugly side of the menstrual cycle. In the course, a female student came up to defend herself stating many good things about the monthly period and the power of each woman. It is completely okay to menstruate! On her claim, a boy supported the girl speaker. There is nothing wrong with girls and women menstruating every month. It is the ill mentality of our society –men and boys who feel bad and dirty about the monthly period. 

As an event coordinator, I have quizzed a few yet very profound questions to think and reflect on an individual level as it helps us open up to empower our girls and women at home and –beyond because we are part of our women's menstrual cycle anyway. I have also shared five essentials to maintain good menstrual hygiene and the challenges. Furthermore, four gentlemen have helped me spread 4 C’s [coordination, culture, communication and consultation] of an effective MHM program. At this moment, I have requested one lady teacher to help me supplement on the topic and she was flawless. It proved she is the real gem of Biology whom I believe is a strong woman and a teacher. 

To further align the ideas I have highlighted a few key points –being a woman is so special, what man can't do, our woman can do so beautifully and diligently. Therefore, it is us [men] who need to change the mentality over this so that the place we live in is safe and free, lovely and beautiful. 

In a few lines, I have also shared my personal story of how I empower my wife, daughter and sister at home. I have shared this as a matter of fact that we as a man can do a lot in helping and making our girls and women feel good and safe at least at home.

To sum up the 20 minutes event, three quiz questions were randomly asked to girl students. As a token of appreciation, a sanitary pad was given for their active participation in the session.

Finally as an event incharge, I thanked everyone involved for the program. And wishes all girls and female colleagues a Happy Menstrual Hygiene Day. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Iron Lady of India dies at 68.

It was neither a good news to millions of Tamilian nor to the parliament house. But, she will continue to remain one of the most influential person in politics and in the film industries. Perhaps, she became more than the goddess of Tamil Nadu politics. She has been a greatest asset to her country in her best pursuit. The women who has ruled India more like 'Gandhian Philosophy.'   Jayalalithaa jee She has done every preeminent possible ways to bring massive changes in the life of millions of people and uplifted the Indian society than any other women. She had worked so hard, she had risk every bits of her life just for the benefit of all the Indians because of which she had gained a huge popularity amongst the other leaders. She was popularly known as an ‘ Iron Lady ’ for being tough and firm in her action and ‘ Amma ’ for acting more than a mother for millions of homeless and to the needy ones.’   The best part I have seen throughout her political regime and fil

Golden Words Of King Jigme Singye Wangchuck

King Jigme Singye Wangchuck "...in particular, speaking for myself; my sorrow in having lost my own father is indeed very great. What is more the country has lost a king whose kind has till now never been known..."                                                                ( Royal proclamation to the people of Bhutan, July 26, 1972)                                      "...as far as you, my people, are concerned, you should not adopt the attitude that whatever is required to be done for your welfare will be done entirely by the government. On the contrary, a little effort on your part will be much more effective than a great deal of effort on the part of the government..."                                     ( Address to the people of the Bhutan on the coronation day . June 2 nd , 1974) "...children are our treasures. They hold the promise of the future and therefore, it is only right that they should be given every opportunity to develop

Goodbye Beloved Teachers

When life has thousands reasons to walk and live, I've thousands different ways to spend my coming holidays. So, does you all my ‘teacher-colleagues’ I've been working so hard for nearly, 280 days round the clock in, educating different lives with different wants, likes and ages. Honestly, I've been so busy and fully occupied for countless hours of teachings, correcting exam papers, assessing note books etc… – and that is called the life of a ‘every tangible teachers’. As a teacher/educator, almost every time - life goes beyond teaching and correcting exam papers. As, we need to engage our students into various fields of learning – going for extra classes, attending club activities, prayers, co-curricular activities, literary activities, cultural programs and so on…and this is the life of each teacher behind the screen. Yet, we get lots of blame starting from the people of highest rank to the lowest. In Bhutan, now a day in the name of suicide case, educa