Sunday, October 16, 2016

The Questions I wanted to Answer as an Amateur Photographer.

I am taking photographs completely out of my passion and always for myself to enjoy and live with nature. Over few years, I have always tried to tell some photo-story to my viewers and the magic of nature through different genre of photography. 
As an amateur photographer, I had always the privilege of interacting with many talented photographers around, discussing their work and the style of photography.

 Can you tell us something about the 'world of photography'?
Photography to me is something that appeals me so much that I see everything so very much astounding. I see everywhere and everything has a great story to express through photographs or images, which I feel speaks much more than expressing through writings, poem and so on. At this age of technology most appealing and comprehending works always lies on how creative one is and how one wanted to present that same thing in different genre, to the level where most people like it and that is photography. Photography is absolutely to play with the amount of light and one's imaginative minds. Photography always speaks the truth. Perhaps, photography to me is everything that keep me one step closer to nature.

Which photographers influenced you and how did they influence your thinking and photographing skills?
Well, to tell about the photographers; I have a long list of great photographers around the world to whom I can always trust and follow them for so many reasons. Amongst all I usually follow them on some technical aspects and the clarity of thoughts in their images. To tell closely about the photographers who has influenced me the most is; Mr. Yeshey Dorji, a bird photographer and a great blogger - only professional photographer in Bhutan, who is surviving all through his great lens. I liked his bird photo-shoots and landscape style. I liked the way he focus his camera while shooting high-flying-objects like birds. He is exceptionally good photographer to whom I can trust completely for all the times. I also like some foreign wild life photographers, landscape photographers, street photographers, magazine photographer and portrait photographers on their own style of taking images. I liked; kiran Poonacha, Praveen Mohandas, AK Sahay, Dhritiman Mukherjee, Jim Ridley, Sudhir Shivaram for birds and animals photography. And there are still some more but I couldn't name here.

As an amateur photographer, among your works, which one is your favorite? Why?
I guess, this is absolutely a tough question to answer. Well, as an amateur photographer I have many in my list which I always like to remember and that is unquestionably my favorite one amongst all. I have some remarkably good photographs of birds, butterflies, landscape and portraits. I liked all of these because I have taken lots of hardship to shoot them. Sometimes I have even taken some hours to get them focus well unto with my lens. I have loads of sacrifices and hardship while shooting them. I have most of the time sacrifice my Sundays, family times and leisure times in going out for shootings into the wild. Because as a photographer it is always important to shoot any objects in its natural settings which needs stacks and stacks of patience and consistency at hand.

Can you tell us something on 'natural settings' and the type of gears you use to shoot outdoor objects?
Like I said, before someone can lend you a hand, you must touch their heart. And touching someone's heart ultimately comes through generating their full trust. So, is for photography? While taking pictures/images if you cannot touch someone's heart and the eye, it's useless even if you enjoy the most. Because ultimately viewers or the readers that matters the most for any work; be it writings, fine art, gallery work and photography. First, it should always touch the heart of the readers/viewers. However, coming to natural settings, it's so simple to define or say it here. While doing birds or animals or butterflies shooting it's important to shoot where it naturally feeds or lives in; birds usually appears best on the tree branches, dead log, piles of stone, river water and so on. Butterflies on the leaves, sand, small twigs and flowering plants are some of the natural habitats, which they appears natural. As a photographer, it's wise to shoot in natural habitats, natural texture and in the best frame. While I use simple Canon DSLR with kit lens and zoom lens (55-250mm) as of now and planning to get better one in future. 
      
 How do you get the person, place or thing that is in front of the camera onto the film in just the way you wanted?
Every photographer develops their own shooting strategy in their own unique way be that high flying objects, animals, landscape or portraits. Understanding how each photographer develops their particular style is important in figuring out your own approach to photographing. For me, taking a shot is no different for any objects be it person, place, things or high-flying-objects, I take it every new approaches, controlling all technical aspects - ISO, F-stop, shutter speed, metering and so on and camera angles to get the images done technically attractive and conceptually rich. I have refined my skill as an amateur photographer by taking many, many pictures over the years. I have developed my eye for making and critiquing images by listening to the frequently-critical input from my viewers and many talented photographers I follow. I usually and always try and attempt to photograph only those things I know I can photograph well and those things I am interested in photographing.
As a beginner into photography world, what exactly you want to say with your photographs and how do you get your photographs to do that?

For a beginner like me, what I usually think is different photographers have different mission and the end goals. The most successful ones are those who can consistently get their work done the way they wanted it to be. As for me, most of my work is for self-photography, for self-satisfaction but in the best of all, I wanted to tell my viewers that there always lies some meanings of its own kinds. I also try my best to create photo essays, photo-story in their own levels. The others are for celebrations of special places, Dzongs and festivals and most secrete places around. But I don't know how far I am closing in for the ideas, story and perseverance I am trying to tell them through my photographs, for all of my viewers through some education books, personal-blog-page and mostly through social networking (Facebooking)

What was your career path? How did you get yourself in being an aspiring photographer and a school teacher?
What I know is, any photographers are not born fully as a skilled one. They start out as unskilled and they reach to their goals through education, motivation, luck, networking and determination. I started out as a simple landscape and a portrait photographer. After gaining some confidence in handling camera focus and some technical aspects. Of late, I started to like for birds and butterflies photography which needs lots of good skills and patience. Now coming to my photography and a school teacher; I manage both equally. I feel my photography is not hampering my professional life till date. Honestly, as a school teacher having some good ideas/skills about photography has been always better - it helped me some time to go beyond mundane teaching. I usually share some good aspects of nature around, world of photography, my passion for photography, importance and scope of photography which has helped me so much to bind my lessons. Because what I know is that everyone may not be able to go for higher education pertaining to so many reasons. One can go for it, if he/she wish to. I believe life is not only running after education and earning through government jobs, etc. It lies completely in individual hand; how one wanted to make a living; it can be through any - hand, mind and eye skills?

How can you manage family life and photography? Is there any family restriction over your passion?
What I usually think is, most important part in life is not what you get from it, but what you give to it. Life is all about helping each other and understanding someone's deep committed hearts and most importantly the feelings. It is always better to commit  oneself from the deepest core of the heart to governing the rest of the days with the simple and basic fundamentals of life proceedings. I always keep in mind that I have is a helping and lovable family to whom is shouldn't be neglecting with my deep passion. When I am alone at home, I go for photography outdoor by asking a special permission for an hour or so. When everyone is at home, I talk to them, I make them understand that I have a good mood to go and take some beautiful images. I also tell them in advance that next day or next weekend I am going for photography to such and such places for some hours and accordingly I planned for my schedule. And sometime when my wife is free I ask her to go with me for photography outdoor for some hours and that is how I balance my family line and giving my passion. While, to tell about the restriction; there are many but not so prominent, initially I have faced fairly tough time making my wife understand that I am so crazy about photography and wanted to buy a camera where I can shoot even the high-flying-objects. It was hard times convincing her about giving my passion but after some long months or so she finally understood that love photography so much. To tell little more about the restriction - even my brother restricted me from buying such expensive camera; on why so much, simple can work for family. Maybe at that time he have not understood my passion but anyway I got it one through this and that restriction and I am happy but I always wanted to update better camera body and lens is all my future wish ( 400-500 mm).

What motivates you to continue taking pictures of different levels of your choices?
This is an important question for any photographer to consider. Even if you do not take photographs for money; clarifying why you do it and what you get out of it and what bothers you for the photography is extremely important. As for me, I do photography out of my passion and likes. I finds this activities the most appealing and most productive for me particularly. Because I can relate life one year, five years, ten years, twenty years and so on from now. I always keep in mind that things get change and this kinds of documentation records will help me keep all things alive throughout. I can say how the things has changed in front of me through some images or through writings. I produce my light studies because my favorite thing to do as a photographer is to get up early, go somewhere to new location, experience fresh air, watch the early light unfold and have little adventurous life. Obviously, I think one best way to get close with nature is only by walking into the wild, experiencing peaceful wildlife, bird watching on their natural habitats are very important aspects that pulls me one step closer and inside into the world of photography. The beautiful nature around has always motivates me to take images and explore wild even more every time I go into the wild. 

My few advice would be give your passion, when you have energy and ability. Never stop at one point, if you have any kinds of such deep passion within you. Simply giving your passion doesn't make you down nor will it waste your time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment