Skip to main content

Our Food Story -The Idea of Cross-Pollination

As part of The Royal Academy (TRA), I took charge of presenting Cross-Pollinated Learning Experiences through one activity on behalf of Damphu Central School. I took it because I was willing to give the beauty of teaching and in between I was interested in exploring the ideas of Cross Pollination, the future of education. 

 

I have chosen "Food Guide Pyramid'' to scaffold our understanding on cross pollination concept. The activity was beautifully assigned to all of us to ponder on the day's learning, smart and middle path journey by TRA faculty. The presentation topic was chosen with keeping many things in mind. As easy as it sounds, it is related to everyone despite differences in age, subject of specialization and background. The topic was fair to be on the screen for presentation, discussion and to wave the ideas on Cross Pollination. On the other hand, the main idea was to propose how to teach rather than what to teach beyond syllabi.

 

"Apple" Zhey La was the formal opening to my presentation. Not quite sure how many got the message across, but it was intended for the topic I chose to talk about for the half-hour mark followed by 10 minutes of lively Q-&-A session.




Three more slides down were all about school going children's choice of food. The photographs were taken a few weeks ago on my way home. The students featured were from the nearby school. I often stop and talk to small kids about their favorite food –fruits, vegetables and snacks. The picture was basically chosen to send the message across the audience and trainers to show the Bhutanese Food. It wasn't far from the truth –we are the Cheese Lovers! 

 

The second slide showed that we are overly exposed to junk food items from an early age and subsequently develop unhealthy food habits.  






As I went on to present the topic "Food Guide Pyramid", I told the audience, I just took the empty chart paper. Since students were already briefed on the lesson, all the students came with one food item. Class monitor made sure that no food items were repeated. I was happy that at least everyone was with one food item. I reminded them that education doesn't happen in isolation. I took five different items. It was basically sharing food knowledge and becoming part of a learning community. 

 

When everyone was settled on the open ground, I displayed the empty chart. Within a few minutes we made a beautiful Food Guide Pyramid, more beautiful and real than what was in the book. The whole idea was to make the learning more realistic and interesting. We didn't agree more than what was made together as a team. It involved a lot of collaboration, patience and effort. 






Once everything was on the chart, I took charge to explain the whole concepts of the Food Pyramid. It was fun sharing such a beautiful story with little innocent kids. 

 

To continue with the activity, I have arranged three notebooks near the Food Guide indicating three meal plates. After that interested students were called to prepare their food menu from the items displayed with each nutritional value. Some had impressive items for the menu. We questioned a few friends –why they chose to go for such lavish items and many more. However, before we closed our lesson a few students were curious to know about my menu. I roughly prepared my menu in front of them; many were utterly surprised. Since I chose to go for more fruits, vegetables and soup meals. The unbelievable fun was that my food menu was unique from the rest of them. I prefer to eat very little rice, or no rice is fine. 

 

To make things real and short, I told them how Gautama Buddha got enlightenment with a single grain and a drop of water a day. So it's not always necessary to eat rice for all three meals. I don't know how funny I sounded, but I did my part with honesty.





To make the idea more lively and exciting, I shared the screen with Labay Sangay Dorji from the Dzongkha Department to briefly highlight food values through a holy view. In just two slides, he added a completely new element of food significance –food has to be consumed like a medicine, neither with hatred nor with attachment and eating food with the right hand and drinking liquid with the left hand was never far from the truth.  Altogether, listening to him was so enriching. 










I explained how the Food Guide Pyramid was related to The Five Areas of Development. I touched upon how each area of development was interconnected with brief ideas and perspectives as reflected on the above slide. I have also shared how it was related to Cross-Pollination concepts with proper reasons. 

 





In the above two slides, I have mentioned that the idea of the Food Guide Pyramid doesn't end with the end of classroom lessons. It goes beyond the four corners of the room and into daily life. Much of the agriculture work at school happens with bigger intention. The billboard on the Food Pyramid to nutritional value and timing are all part of wholesome learning. I briefly highlighted on WFP (World Food Programme). On a daily basis, the organization feeds millions of people across the world and since long Bhutan has been part of it and we have benefited so much from this programme. I shared many concerns on the importance of the food that comes on our plate. Therefore, teaching food values and its wastage at school mess and at home are perhaps very crucial. Since, millions of people on the other side of the world are going hungry everyday. 







As expected I couldn't furnish my ideas well. Since I had some discomfort talking, or being in front of the camera. I wasn't born to be a public speaker although I have a strong desire to be on the big stage. Definitely someday I will overcome this fear of the camera and be myself. 

 

I was happy that I could at least present on Cross-Pollinated ideas and didn't embarrass team Damphu for not having anything to present. 

 

The whole idea was thickly surrounded by reasonable answers. If there is one thing to barter, it is my fear of the camera.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Iron Lady of India dies at 68.

It was neither a good news to millions of Tamilian nor to the parliament house. But, she will continue to remain one of the most influential person in politics and in the film industries. Perhaps, she became more than the goddess of Tamil Nadu politics. She has been a greatest asset to her country in her best pursuit. The women who has ruled India more like 'Gandhian Philosophy.'   Jayalalithaa jee She has done every preeminent possible ways to bring massive changes in the life of millions of people and uplifted the Indian society than any other women. She had worked so hard, she had risk every bits of her life just for the benefit of all the Indians because of which she had gained a huge popularity amongst the other leaders. She was popularly known as an ‘ Iron Lady ’ for being tough and firm in her action and ‘ Amma ’ for acting more than a mother for millions of homeless and to the needy ones.’   The best part I have seen throughout her political regime and fil

Golden Words Of King Jigme Singye Wangchuck

King Jigme Singye Wangchuck "...in particular, speaking for myself; my sorrow in having lost my own father is indeed very great. What is more the country has lost a king whose kind has till now never been known..."                                                                ( Royal proclamation to the people of Bhutan, July 26, 1972)                                      "...as far as you, my people, are concerned, you should not adopt the attitude that whatever is required to be done for your welfare will be done entirely by the government. On the contrary, a little effort on your part will be much more effective than a great deal of effort on the part of the government..."                                     ( Address to the people of the Bhutan on the coronation day . June 2 nd , 1974) "...children are our treasures. They hold the promise of the future and therefore, it is only right that they should be given every opportunity to develop

Goodbye Beloved Teachers

When life has thousands reasons to walk and live, I've thousands different ways to spend my coming holidays. So, does you all my ‘teacher-colleagues’ I've been working so hard for nearly, 280 days round the clock in, educating different lives with different wants, likes and ages. Honestly, I've been so busy and fully occupied for countless hours of teachings, correcting exam papers, assessing note books etc… – and that is called the life of a ‘every tangible teachers’. As a teacher/educator, almost every time - life goes beyond teaching and correcting exam papers. As, we need to engage our students into various fields of learning – going for extra classes, attending club activities, prayers, co-curricular activities, literary activities, cultural programs and so on…and this is the life of each teacher behind the screen. Yet, we get lots of blame starting from the people of highest rank to the lowest. In Bhutan, now a day in the name of suicide case, educa