Skip to main content

115th National Day: A Water Tank Gift

It's a national day. One big day for Bhutan and Bhutanese to reflect and to forge a new journey.  

 

The National Day is a big day for all of us, for each Bhutanese. On this day 115 years ago, our Great Hero Gongsar Ugyen Wangchuck, the founding father of Bhutan unified the country from all evils and external forces. It was on this day, the Hereditary Monarchy was established and the country came under Wangchuck Dynasty.

 

This day is also a day to remember and thank our first Monarch and successive kingship for their sacrifice for this land and for making each one of us safe and proud Bhutanese citizens. Like our brave monarchs we should also learn to sacrifice for the country and it is a reminder to each one of us for how bravely our first king has unified this nation. Therefore, we must love our country, but honestly and intelligently!

 

My 115th National Day was a bit different for the second time. First in 2019, I was busy fixing a toilet pot for my students when the rest were ushering in the national day in a remote corner of Zhemgang. The same evening I was engaged in listening to the rebroadcast of His Majesty’s National Day Speech. 

 

Undoubtedly, I fell in love with HM's Dzongkha, the eloquence, the meaning, the beauty, the richness, and overall, it was a joy to listen to a beautiful speech for the country and people by our beloved monarch. 

 

This year was no different. I was having a long pending work for the project I was undertaking. The construction of a small water tank for SAP activities. Often I was left with doubt that I may disappoint my foreign donors and other people involved to get this deal. 

 

There was no day and moment I was at peace. Despite giving a hard try, everyday I worry about completing the project. There was no day I was without any burning task in hand –teaching, planning, counselling, gathering, meeting, and other personal engagements. 

 

However, just to give a final touch to my project , and to make it memorable on this big day, I planned to escape my national day celebration at the Damphu Public Ground. Although I was missing the live celebration and HM's National Day Speech, I am making history for myself and it may become my year's national achievement. 

 

I was expecting for a rebroadcast on tv, social media platforms and in print media.  For these assurances, I just diverted my attention to give a final touch to my project. As much as I am missing the live celebration, I am making history, history for myself and for my school. I believe this is nation building!

 

Let me share a few reasons why this project was delayed till the last month of the year. First, the project came at a time when the country is regaining momentum from COVID. Second, the collection of raw materials came handy. Third, the actual expertise was lacking to materialize the project. Fourth, Tsirang being at the southern belt, summer becomes heavy with rain, which somehow have deterred the construction. Fifth, being a teacher myself I was heavily being used for teaching and other administrative work. Sixth, almost all the Saturdays and Sundays were packed with online training for Bhutan Baccalaureate (BB). Seventh, getting someone (laborers) who can handle the concrete construction was difficult. Eighth, I was engaged with some personal matters at home. Ninth, I was medically unfit due to severe back pain which made my presence often difficult.

 

With prayers and wishes, I sincerely dedicate my small project to our greatest National Hero Gongsar Ugyen Wangchuck and successive monarchs for their selfless leadership, sacrifice and power for making us one nation. 

 

On this day, 115 years ago, on December 17th 1907, our first King made a history by unifying this Drukpa Land, and today on 17th of December 2022, I am making my small contribution to remember and thank our brave and national hero, our King Gongsar Ugyen Wangchuck. This is a day we must come together to deeply reflect the great work done by our successive kings. 

 

 

Pelden Drukpa Gyalo la...May this nation be always like today and may this nation be always under the visionary kings and may this nation remain happy and peaceful... 

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Iron Lady of India dies at 68.

It was neither a good news to millions of Tamilian nor to the parliament house. But, she will continue to remain one of the most influential person in politics and in the film industries. Perhaps, she became more than the goddess of Tamil Nadu politics. She has been a greatest asset to her country in her best pursuit. The women who has ruled India more like 'Gandhian Philosophy.'   Jayalalithaa jee She has done every preeminent possible ways to bring massive changes in the life of millions of people and uplifted the Indian society than any other women. She had worked so hard, she had risk every bits of her life just for the benefit of all the Indians because of which she had gained a huge popularity amongst the other leaders. She was popularly known as an ‘ Iron Lady ’ for being tough and firm in her action and ‘ Amma ’ for acting more than a mother for millions of homeless and to the needy ones.’   The best part I have seen throughout her political regime and fil

Golden Words Of King Jigme Singye Wangchuck

King Jigme Singye Wangchuck "...in particular, speaking for myself; my sorrow in having lost my own father is indeed very great. What is more the country has lost a king whose kind has till now never been known..."                                                                ( Royal proclamation to the people of Bhutan, July 26, 1972)                                      "...as far as you, my people, are concerned, you should not adopt the attitude that whatever is required to be done for your welfare will be done entirely by the government. On the contrary, a little effort on your part will be much more effective than a great deal of effort on the part of the government..."                                     ( Address to the people of the Bhutan on the coronation day . June 2 nd , 1974) "...children are our treasures. They hold the promise of the future and therefore, it is only right that they should be given every opportunity to develop

Goodbye Beloved Teachers

When life has thousands reasons to walk and live, I've thousands different ways to spend my coming holidays. So, does you all my ‘teacher-colleagues’ I've been working so hard for nearly, 280 days round the clock in, educating different lives with different wants, likes and ages. Honestly, I've been so busy and fully occupied for countless hours of teachings, correcting exam papers, assessing note books etc… – and that is called the life of a ‘every tangible teachers’. As a teacher/educator, almost every time - life goes beyond teaching and correcting exam papers. As, we need to engage our students into various fields of learning – going for extra classes, attending club activities, prayers, co-curricular activities, literary activities, cultural programs and so on…and this is the life of each teacher behind the screen. Yet, we get lots of blame starting from the people of highest rank to the lowest. In Bhutan, now a day in the name of suicide case, educa