Skip to main content

Why I Wear His Majesty's Badge– II



Three days old in the new campus. Yet again, I became a new teacher in the old system. I hoped everything would fall in place with time was the only hope I had burning deep inside. Backed by His Majesty's praise for Bhutanese being so resilient and astute, mindful and respectful, I relied on self-trust to build my image again in a new place of many smart people. I would win the heart, or simply lose the race of my career built on trust and hardship. 

It was during recess. I met a good-looking boy around the corridors busy lurking with another boy who had a much deeper look. They seemed to be caring nothing, but their existence. I could hear a few exchanges like town, mobile, data, yesterday, etc. 

I saw one of the boys hanging "Liverpool FC" badge in his doktha (a small tie-like piece, which drabs the loose end of the front pocket to the other end). It gave me a nostalgic feeling of a boy I met in a similar fashion at my previous school.

First few days elapsed with different engagement –knowing people and the system, planning and meeting. 

Only a week later, I knew that I was handed down a popular class since they had multiple indecorous narratives in the previous year. I was ready for the job even if the sky was falling down. 

In a few days, everything was ready –classroom, name-list and SUPW area. 

One morning, I came across the same boy I met a week ago in my class. He was wearing a different badge "Think Big, Dream Big". The badge looks so nice. I believed in his big dreams. It was trust at first sight. However, the badge was in the wrong place. I was concerned about dying of our homegrown good values. Therefore, with this little hope and moreover as a teacher who carries secret responsibilities to nurture the future citizens of the country to a greater path, I promised to work with the boy. As small as this action, it's a big test for a tiny nation.

We just sat for a few discussions, many things came in-between and our whole conversation ended in an amicable manner. We promised to work together. However, he did not have enough cash to buy His Majesty's badge, which deeply sunk my heart. Indeed, very touching because I know the pain of going penniless. I promised him a beautiful badge of His Majesty. 

He agreed with surety. 

Hours of free flowing conversation gave a perfect start to our mission. I liked his critical openness in our discussion. I was convinced by his submission that our dream would only get better. On the other hand, I have equally anticipated an untoward situation. 

Immediately, I couldn't visit town. Indeed, it was a blessing in disguise to know more about my class members and the boy. However, sadly in between he came to class with the earring in his ear. Perhaps, to me this encounter was like a Nagasaki bomb. But there is nothing wrong with it. It is a newly evolved fashion among youngsters and celebrities, especially with men. 

I hanged my temperament outside, in the air. 

I took a chance to drive straight to town on Saturday only to look for His Majesty's badge. It took some time to select the best one from the customer's tray. I took the best one to impress him. While returning home, a lot of mixed feelings started to grow in my head. What if he doesn't like my choice? What if he doesn't come to school on Monday? What if he doesn't like to wear it? I dumped all my naive feelings on Mackey's corridors. 

Sunday went so well with family engagement. 

The next day, I went to school with great excitement. As usual I was early. I did all the day's preparation before morning SUPW and eagerly waited for my students to come.

As the bell signaled for the day's program, I quickly grabbed the class register and went straight to the class area. I make sure everyone is present and working in their respective areas. 

As I was roughly checking them, some boys were still coming and few were missing. 

After a few minutes, the boy I was looking for came and straightaway settled down for his work. I went near his area and called him and showed him the badge. We exchanged warm greetings. Like me, he was so happy. As I put His Majesty's badge on his chest, over his heart, we prayed for His Majesty's long life and good health. I told him to take care of the badge since His Majesty is so, so special to all of us, and more importantly to all the Bhutanese. He is our role model. He is our superstar. He is our source of inspiration. Please take care and wear it everyday. Lastly, I assured him, the invisible power of His Majesty would protect him in all his actions and bring him peace of mind. 

The story twisted within a few days. Third day he came as barren as the first day. I didn't say a word. I kept watching him. The other day, I found him in informal shoes and handkerchiefs nicely knuckled around his neck, a fresh and rough tattoo on his hands. By then he had already been absent for days and even missed several morning social work. I kept observing him for some more days. Deep within, I was burning in pain. After that day, I couldn't find any trace of the badge I gifted him. Despite discussion, he started to portray hard behaviors, few were utterly bitter to digest.

With all these happenings, I didn't lose an inch of hope. I only want to turn obstacles into opportunity. I wanted to help him get on with life because I believe in the value of a good education.

It pained my heart out like bombing Hiroshima, when one of his classmates casually informed me of his plan to discontinue school. It hurt me even more after knowing that he came from an affluent family and even has a building nearby the town and runs a shop. Rest, God knows the truth! 

In our several discussions, these things have never come up. He continued to be innocent.

I was made foolish in my doings. I encountered very odd affairs in my life. I felt sorry for the situation between us and some part of guilt is still hanging around my head. Human beings are only getting worse. I only had regret that education is free and these many years of schooling had taught him only to deceive someone honest. 

As he left the school, I only wished him good luck in his business and future life. 

 

Declaimer: These are little things that happen in the life of a schoolteacher. Teachers try their best to support students from all walks of life. Whatever, little, teacher won't mind sharing. Goodness of teachers is never seen by society. Hundreds of sacrifices made by our teachers are heroic but unseen. Every teacher assures at the end of the day, they impact each life. Teachers are the nation builders. Please accept teachers' flaws and wearing the same old gho.

The views shared are the author's own. The characters I made are all fiction. 


Comments

  1. Respect Sir,
    occurrences like this can put a question and doubt when we see a need to interfere in future. Sending waves of positivity. Its a loss for the boy to not understand sir’s effort. I am sure somewhere those didn’t go in vain.
    Thank you for sharing sir

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love that you wrote this. just out of curiosity (and because i'm new here) are you fully based in bhutan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a fully Bhutanese. I am a Bhutanese!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Iron Lady of India dies at 68.

It was neither a good news to millions of Tamilian nor to the parliament house. But, she will continue to remain one of the most influential person in politics and in the film industries. Perhaps, she became more than the goddess of Tamil Nadu politics. She has been a greatest asset to her country in her best pursuit. The women who has ruled India more like 'Gandhian Philosophy.'   Jayalalithaa jee She has done every preeminent possible ways to bring massive changes in the life of millions of people and uplifted the Indian society than any other women. She had worked so hard, she had risk every bits of her life just for the benefit of all the Indians because of which she had gained a huge popularity amongst the other leaders. She was popularly known as an ‘ Iron Lady ’ for being tough and firm in her action and ‘ Amma ’ for acting more than a mother for millions of homeless and to the needy ones.’   The best part I have seen throughout her political regime and fil

Golden Words Of King Jigme Singye Wangchuck

King Jigme Singye Wangchuck "...in particular, speaking for myself; my sorrow in having lost my own father is indeed very great. What is more the country has lost a king whose kind has till now never been known..."                                                                ( Royal proclamation to the people of Bhutan, July 26, 1972)                                      "...as far as you, my people, are concerned, you should not adopt the attitude that whatever is required to be done for your welfare will be done entirely by the government. On the contrary, a little effort on your part will be much more effective than a great deal of effort on the part of the government..."                                     ( Address to the people of the Bhutan on the coronation day . June 2 nd , 1974) "...children are our treasures. They hold the promise of the future and therefore, it is only right that they should be given every opportunity to develop

Goodbye Beloved Teachers

When life has thousands reasons to walk and live, I've thousands different ways to spend my coming holidays. So, does you all my ‘teacher-colleagues’ I've been working so hard for nearly, 280 days round the clock in, educating different lives with different wants, likes and ages. Honestly, I've been so busy and fully occupied for countless hours of teachings, correcting exam papers, assessing note books etc… – and that is called the life of a ‘every tangible teachers’. As a teacher/educator, almost every time - life goes beyond teaching and correcting exam papers. As, we need to engage our students into various fields of learning – going for extra classes, attending club activities, prayers, co-curricular activities, literary activities, cultural programs and so on…and this is the life of each teacher behind the screen. Yet, we get lots of blame starting from the people of highest rank to the lowest. In Bhutan, now a day in the name of suicide case, educa